NPoints Season 5: The Contest is Over!!!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NPoints Season 5: The Contest is Over!!!

Post by paulheisemberg12 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Whoa! Only 13 points separate me from Jirka, and 14 from 5th place. This last week is decisive. Good luck everyone!
paulheisemberg12
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Week 10 maps are up!!!

Post by BtoasterBoy on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:00 am

It has been a wild ride, pardners, but week 10 is finally here!!!

We have some more maps by some of the best mappers of v2: Fujita seiko, Yoke 300, and Spackal!
Also we have a map from me and a map from THUNDER!

Timer to end of week: http://itsalmo.st/#endofweek10
Search S5W10 to find the maps!
The contest is not over yet!
BtoasterBoy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AiR on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:26 am

cool, I'm sooo late on this N-Community banquet hall xD hope to get into your guys' circle of awesomeness, considering I'm a long time- awesome N- player as most of you are aware ;)
AiR
Admin

View user profile http://martinsonaaron.wixsite.com/airupdar

Back to top Go down

AiR you should totally join the contest for the final week!!!

Post by BtoasterBoy on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:00 am

AiR! I'm really glad to see you here! I've been playing Nv2 for about 3 years now, and I have definitely seen you around!

Although you definitely can't win the contest at this point, you should still compete in this final week! I only played a couple weeks of Season 2, and I had a blast! Also, it's a lot of fun to do well in individual weeks, even if you didn't play regularly. The maps are higher quality than most user levels, and because it's a (relatively) popular contest, the competition is usually more serious than usual. Maybe see if you can prevent swipenet from getting a perfect final week :D

PS I sent you a PM, in case you didn't notice.
BtoasterBoy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The contest has ended

Post by BtoasterBoy on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:57 am

The contest is over!!!
Final scores: http://tinyurl.com/Nv2Points5

In this final week, swipe got a perfect 50 points for the 5th week in a row, making him the undisputed winner of the competition. The battle for placements was intense though!

patfelix needed to get 25 points more than golfkid this week if he wanted 2nd place. pat got 31 points, and golf ALSO got 31 points! So, golf finished in 2nd, and pat finished 3rd.

Kai couldn't have changed place this week, so for the first week this season, he didn't even bother playnig, and finished in 4th place.

Jirka and paulheisemberg had the battle to end all battles this week! paul needed to get 14 points more than Jirka to pass him, and he really put in the effort this week. paul had his best week, getting 42 points!!! However, Jirka got 30 points! So, Jirka finished in 5th place, with one point more than paul in 6th.

oxymoron played again, and got 14 points, and finished in 7th place.

shomman came back, after a 7 week hiatus, and finished in 8th place.

Finishing off our top 10 board is sdrawkcab (9th) and deep97 (10th).

thejumper741 also had his best week, getting 18 points, but it wasn't quite enough to break into the top 10.

Congratulations to all of our competitors! This was certainly the most competitive season of npoints since the first!
Thank you to all of the mappers who helped to keep this season interesting!

shomman and I feel honored to have run this great competition for our great community. We're still deciding when the next season will be, but we will certainly announce it well ahead of time.
Until then, good night, and good luck.
BtoasterBoy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swipenet on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:48 pm

:D Thanks to everyone for hosting, making fun maps, and keeping the competition interesting! Gotta update my profile now.
swipenet
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NPoints Feedback Survey!!!

Post by BtoasterBoy on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:39 pm

shomman and I want to make the next season of npoints as good as it can be, so in that vein, we have prepared a survey of questions to help us know what we could do better. It's only 10 questions long, and should only take a couple of minutes. All questions are optional, but we want as much feedback as we can get to make the next season as good as it can be.

NPoints Feedback Survey

Also, if you have any suggestions that you feel aren't addressed in the survey, feel free to post them here, or PM me or shomman about it.
BtoasterBoy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swipenet on Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:13 am

Filled out the survey. Looking forward to more of these contests! :D

Is it really true that people are discouraged from competing because someone's far ahead? Not sure if this was in reference to me or Eddy. Regardless, I'm honestly far from perfect (99.9% of the time anyways) and chances are if one player, let alone the 50 or so that participated in v2, try hard enough, as much as I'd want to defend or take a 0th, I probably wouldn't be able to. I think this was pretty evident in the first 5 weeks of this season.

Just saying, turn up the heat and I guarantee you it'll be close down to the last week! Hopefully we can spread the word about future iterations of this and get as many players to take part as possible.
swipenet
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shomman on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks man.
I don't know. I know in Season 1, some people were discouraged, because eddy just pumped out 50 week after 50 week, with no competition, but it was different in v2, people challenged you and you had to take 0ths back.

It could still be discouraging, working so hard for so little effect.

Maybe we can get Eddy to play v2 next time :P

Two time Npoints Winner - Npoints Season 2 Npoints Season 3

shomman
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swipenet on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:28 am

Yup, Eddy playing v2 would definitely make things... interesting. While I'm pretty sure I can produce runs on par with his most of the time, he is probably 5 times (if not more) as efficient as me, which makes it much easier for him to reclaim 0ths. Nonetheless I would do my best to make it close!

We need consistent participation from the likes of macrohenry, Cineva, SpartaX18, cooperverdon, oxymoron93 and you. Good grief that would be intense!

I guess I persevere more than most, but hey, if someone takes a 0th in the last minute I'm pretty much screwed! XD
swipenet
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BtoasterBoy on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:33 pm

some winner wrote:Is it really true that people are discouraged from competing because someone's far ahead?

The problem is not that people don't want to fight against you when you're winning in one week. The problem is that 6 or 7 weeks in, there are people that only just found out about the contest, and don't want to compete, because it is actually impossible for them to win the season. Even if they got 50 points every week from then on, they still couldn't win, and so they didn't want to compete in the rest of the season.

Also, our community has a high turnover rate. Many people will not play this game seriously for 10 weeks, and our community can get a lot of new players during the 10 weeks that the contest runs. Some of these people were telling me that they were not very interested in the contest, because they knew they could not accomplish anything.

And so, we want to give these people a reason to care about the contest later in the season. The obvious solution would be to try to make individual weeks more competitive. That would make it interesting for people only playing a little bit, and it would make the overall contest more interesting, because regular players would have more competition.
BtoasterBoy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Replonse

Post by swipenet on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:11 pm

BtoasterBoy wrote:Many people will not play this game seriously for 10 weeks, and our community can get a lot of new players during the 10 weeks that the contest runs. Some of these people were telling me that they were not very interested in the contest, because they knew they could not accomplish anything.

Hmm, just throwing an idea out here.

What if you guys also offered prizes/recognition for the winners of each individual week?
swipenet
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nimit on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:16 pm

BtoasterBoy wrote:

The problem is not that people don't want to fight against you when you're winning in one week. The problem is that 6 or 7 weeks in, there are people that only just found out about the contest, and don't want to compete, because it is actually impossible for them to win the season. Even if they got 50 points every week from then on, they still couldn't win, and so they didn't want to compete in the rest of the season.

Exactly.
It was around week 6 or 7 when I found out a guy named NPoints.... was posting hard maps and around week 9 when I found out it was actually a contest. And week 10 when I could actually complete a couple of maps (Let alone get in the top10). I'm not telling the maps should be easier, but something can be done so that people who play only sometimes can enjoy the contest. (Maybe you could feature names of individual week toppers in the chart or something else)
Edit: sorry for repeating what swipenet said we both posted at the same time.
Nimit
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shomman on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I think individual week recognition is a good idea, but I'm not sure how we'd do it in practice.
Gives us something to think about before next season.

shomman
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thejumper£#! on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:26 pm

My idea is give small bonus point at the end of each week, and calculate the final score of ALL weeks only at the end of the contest!

This idea maybe is far away from your idea of this contest ... :)

But it's not easy have a good balance. In some championship, 1° get 25 point, 2° 20... etc... for example. Maybe Swipe0thnet and other competition boys can have an additional advantage, and become unreachable. But maybe they already are.

I, however, I attended seriously to a couple of levels last week, but I did not do a perfect race I had in mind, this is a veiled threat to the dear swipenet, it's just that I have little time to compete and ... - insert other excuses here - LOL
thejumper£#!
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shomman on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:01 am

That is an interesting suggestion. Making the scoring system more complex could certainly increase the competition. We'll discuss it. 
As a first reaction, it sort of seems to be not-npoints, but I can't see any reason not to change it up.

Thank you.

shomman
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Threat on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:07 pm

I might stretch my fingers on this season. Time to come back ;)
Threat
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BtoasterBoy on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:36 pm

We'd be glad to have you! More competition is always a good thing!

We're still not exactly sure when Season 6 will start, but of course we're going to make a big deal about it once we know.
BtoasterBoy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spackal on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:31 pm

I can say that I'm awaiting the next season with great pleasure.

Spackal
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BtoasterBoy on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks Spackal :)

Actually, if anybody wants to send us a map or two for next season, we would gladly start taking them now. We don't know when exactly we're going to start the next season. We're still figuring some things out, but having the maps prepared beforehand would certainly help.
BtoasterBoy
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spackal on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:58 pm

I can aid with that.

Also I've built a little playground to enhance skills if anyone wants to use it. I know I certainly will :J
[Edit] I would recommend loading this up in the editor and using 'x' to teleport around. Data

Spackal
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top