Suggestions for the N-CodeEditor 3.0

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestions for the N-CodeEditor 3.0

Post by vrugtehagel on Wed May 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm currently working on a new project: The N-CodeEditor 3. It's an editor for Nv2.0 maps that allows you to use every possible thing, whereas the NED only allows for certain placements and orientations of objects. I'm talking about diagonal one-way panels, drones or locked/trap/standard doors slightly out of place (as in the "toggle snap size" feature in the NED, but then for all objects) and/or diagonally. And, of course, ghost- and port-tiles.

But, since I can make whatever I want (as long as it's in my reach to make, of course. One person can only do so much), I would like to ask you for features you miss in the NED, or features that you just think would be cool to have. I'd be glad to satisfy people's needs, and encourage more people to use it, whenever it's done.

Thanks in advance!
vrugtehagel.

PS: The editor is being made at "vrugtehagel.nl/N-CodeEditor/", for anyone wishing to see the current state of the project.
vrugtehagel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestions for the N-CodeEditor 3.0

Post by shomman on Wed May 25, 2016 11:26 pm

what about those drones and stuff that are stuck in place? I don't know how those are made.

also, this is really cool.

Two time Npoints Winner - Npoints Season 2 Npoints Season 3

shomman
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vrugtehagel on Thu May 26, 2016 12:05 am

Yes, I was thinking about that. That feature is actually already done (sortof) but I'll be adding a "help" section or something similar in which I go through some of the most useful techniques.
vrugtehagel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by garamond on Sun May 29, 2016 10:49 am

Very cool! You already listed the most important missing feautures. I also checked your program, it looks it doesn't do anything - but behind you've already prepared a lot.

Still the user interface could be made much more friendly than in the original N editor.

I can also help with everything (I'm a bit rusty with js tho), and with design for a nice usable GUI.

garamond
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nimit on Sun May 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi,
This looks like an awesome program and it would make a lot of things much more easier. Although I'm in no state to play right now or in the near future, I wish that this program be completed as soon as possible... :)
Good luck!
Nimit
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vrugtehagel on Sun May 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi garamond and Nimit, thanks for replying!

@garamond, I failed to mention that you can load a map by preceding the link with "?l=[levelID]" or "?d=[levelData]" (if you do both then the level of the levelID will be loaded). For example:

vrugtehagel.nl/N-CodeEditor/?l=74779

(I won't do an example with the leveldata since that'll be too long - I trust you understand what I meant ;) ).
Indeed the editor does not have too much functionality - and I'm not worrying too much about the user interface until all the functions are done. The functionality that it currently has, has to be called through the javascript console - it has more functionality than you'd expect by simply looking at the website. So far, the only really usable function is pressing the apostrophe key to change grid style.

@Nimit, I'm sorry you can't play now! My editor will take a little while more to be finished (it could range from a month to about half a year. I'm planning on setting some deadlines, however. I'll update the post as soon as I set those). I made this thread early enough so that I can take any suggestions into account while programming.
vrugtehagel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AiR on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:26 am

I want an N Teleporter and an N Checkpoint... that may make the game even better! ;)
AiR
Admin

View user profile http://martinsonaaron.wixsite.com/airupdar

Back to top Go down

Post by vrugtehagel on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:13 am

Hi AiR, thanks for replying!

Unfortunately, I don't quite understand what you mean by a teleporter and a checkpoint. You should know, I'm only able to implement things that are actually possible in the game, I cannot simply invent new objects and such. If you meant existing concepts or ideas, please explain them more detailed, perhaps providing an example.
vrugtehagel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyteriux on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:55 am

Interesting thought: Diagonal thwumps that don't crash the game? Not sure how possible that would be but might make for some interesting aesthetics and gameplay (doesn't necessarily have to move, just it not entirely crashing the game could open up some doors for mappers).

Also (related to one of AiR's suggestions), preset tiles with the launchpads already in place for through-wall teleportation might make it less of a hassle.
Hyteriux
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shomman on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:45 am

Vrug isn't just taking suggestions for mods, hes asking what to include (that already exists), in the editor he's making.

Two time Npoints Winner - Npoints Season 2 Npoints Season 3

shomman
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vrugtehagel on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi Hyteriux, thanks for your suggestions!

as shomman mentioned already, I'm only able to implement things in my editor that are already possible (but not necessarily through the built-in editor, the NED). Diagonal thwumps will crash the game, and in fact, for that reason, I don't allow those in my editor either (my editor is not meant to easily make the game crash!). And about the aesthetics part: diagonal thwumps don't render diagonally (well, in the NED they do, but when uploaded they don't. This also means they don't render diagonally in the thumbnail), so diagonal thwumps are literally good for nothing.

about the presets though, that's quite an interesting thought. I'll definitely look into that and see to what extent I can implement a feature like that. Thanks!
vrugtehagel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyteriux on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Oooo! So excited to see the "show title in map" option. No more saving twice :)
Hyteriux
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top